Historic Sites

The five sites featured on this page are listed on the National Registry of Historic Places, but Newtown Square is also home to over 100 other historic sites. Maps of our Historic sites can be explored via the links below.

NSHS map and inventory of historic sites (Google Maps)

Newtown Township's map of historic sites (ArcGIS)

Square Tavern (1742)

A Colonial crossroads tavern, witness to the Revolution, with ties to Benjamin West, father of American painting.


Bartram Bridge (1860)

The last surviving covered bridge in Delaware County, crossing Crum Creek and spanning history.


Paper Mill House (1770)

The Paper Mill House and Museum on the banks of Darby Creek was once housing for mill workers, and now contains a museum of local history.

Octagonal School (1842)

This stone school building with 8 sides was built in 1842 to replace a log cabin school, and was used as a schoolhouse until 1868.

St. David's Church (1715)

Early settlers "heartily engaged themselves to build a handsome stone church, named for the Patron Saint of Wales." They now rest in the ancient surrounding cemetery.